Deadline to ApplyFriday, 16 June 2017
CompanySt. Joseph Media
St. Joseph Media is Canada's third largest magazine publisher with brands including award-winning titles such as Ottawa Magazine, Canadian Family, and Quill & Quire. We have offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.
St. Joseph Media and Where Calgary magazine seek an editorial intern for a three month term beginning in June, 2017 and ending September, 2017. This is a full-time contract position in our Calgary office.
St. Joseph Media is working with the federal government on a marquee project to help Canadians celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation. Over the course of 2017, there will be thousands of events held across the country. From concerts to food fairs, if it's Canadian, we'll be there and covering them on our Canada 150 website and mobile app. Our mission is simple: Get as many Canadians as possible to celebrate our country's birthday, starting January 2017. Your role will be to curate these events by calling and emailing businesses and attractions throughout Western Canada, and then to upload these events to the main database for use online and in the app. You will require exceptional verbal and written communication skills and will gain experience in digital publishing and tourism.
You will also gain experience working on in a magazine environment with various tasks related to the production of our bi-monthly product, Where Calgary magazine. These tasks may include:
- Writing, researching, and fact checking shopping, dining, art, and entertainment listings for print and our online database.
- Perform general assistance to the editorial team including copyediting, fact checking, researching, and writing for newsletters and magazines.
- Writing, editing, planning, (phone) photography, video, and scheduling of content for blogs and social media.
- Must be a current student or recent graduate (2014 or later graduation date) of a post-secondary education program including journalism, English, digital media, or a related field.
- Word Press experience is an asset but not a requirement
- Able to write, edit, and proofread effectively and accurately
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable speaking with others over the phone
- Organized and can work independently
- Interested in Canadian tourism, events, dining, arts and culture, travel, and shopping
- SEO experience is an asset but not a requirement
- Intern must not have participated in an AMPA internship before
How to Apply
Please submit an application to editor Seema Dhawan via email to [email protected]
Please state Internship Application in the e-mail subject line.