The Literary Publishers component of Supporting Artistic Practice funds Canadian publishers of literary books and magazines committed to developing and promoting Canadian writers through the publishing process. Grants support the publication of literary books and magazines authored by Canadian writers.
The deadline for application is May 8. Interested applicants should create a profile on Canada Council's new portal as soon as possible.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- literary book and creative writing magazine publishers
Eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
To be eligible, you must be a Canadian literary publisher with a demonstrated history and current practice of publishing Canadian-authored literary books and/or print or electronic magazines with creative writing literary works primarily by Canadian contributors. You must also meet the following basic criteria:
- presently receive core (operating) support through one of the following Canada Council programs:
- Support to Book Publishing: Block Grants (Annual and Multi-Year)
- Grants to Literary and Arts Magazines
- have received at least 2 Canada Council publishing project grants from the following programs in the last 3 years:
- Capacity Building Initiative Program: Project Grants
- Cultivate: Sector Development Project Grant
- Grants to Literary and Arts Magazines (New Magazines component)
- Support to Book Publishing: Emerging Publisher Grants
- have had total revenues exceeding $30 000 in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
- magazine publishers: have published at least 2 issues of the magazine in the year preceding this application
Your application will not be eligible if your organization owes royalty payments to writers, illustrators, translators and/or other copyright licensors as of the application deadline.
To find out more about eligibility and to apply, visit canadacouncil.ca.