Deadline for submissions is March 1, 2013
The 2013 Western Magazine Awards – which honour and celebrate editorial excellence in Western Canadian magazine writing, photography, illustration and art direction – are now accepting submissions. The deadline for entries is 9 p.m., Friday, March 1, 2013.
There are many new and simplified rules for 2013 (full details are on the WMAF website. Please read them carefully).
For all entries, it is mandatory that
- a magazine be headquartered in Western Canada,
- the creator be a Canadian citizen or resident,
- the entry appear in a 2012 publication (2011/2012 for Best New Magazine).
Entry fees did not increase this year and remain at $85 ($65 for magazines with a circulation of 20,000 and under) plus taxes.
Lifetime Achievement Award nominations are now also being accepted. Nominations must be received, either by email or in hard copy, before the March 15, 2013 deadline.
- Arts, Culture and Entertainment
- Human Experience
- New Writer
- Public Issues
- Regular Column or Department
- Science, Technology and Medicine
- Travel and Leisure
- Best Art Direction – Article
- Best Art Direction – Cover
- Best Illustration or Illustration Feature
- Best Photograph – Architectural, Landscape or Still
- Best Photograph – People or Portraiture
- Best Photographic Feature or Series
- Gold Award for Best Article – Alberta/NWT
- Gold Award for Best Article – B.C./Yukon
- Gold Award for Best Article – Manitoba
- Gold Award for Best Article – Saskatchewan
Magazines of the Year Categories
- Best New Magazine
- Trade Magazine Of The Year
- Best Online Magazine
- Magazine Of The Year – Alberta/NWT
- Magazine Of The Year – B.C./Yukon
- Magazine Of The Year –Saskatchewan
- Magazine Of The Year – Manitoba
- Magazine of the Year – Western Canada (this one category requires no entry. The winners of the 4 provincial MOTY categories are the finalists for this category)
The 2013 Western Magazine Awards will be held on Friday, June 21, 2013 at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside.